Wednesday 28 January 2015

So the conference is, like, over now....

Whoa. The past 4 days have been a whirlwind. Two GREAT performances by the Escape:cyt cast of 'Falling to our knees', one in the town hall and one that brought the whole conference to a dramatic end. 

This amazing experience has been a learning curve, and I feel very fortunate to have been a part of not only the production process, but also the conference. The conference was over two days in a variety of locations on the University of Leeds campus and two exhibitions that took place in the Parkinson Building.

It's not my first time attending a conference, but it was the first time I've ever sat on a panel answering questions from an audience. The cast were great - absolute naturals - answering questions with the sort of eloquent loquacity that you'd expect of somebody twice their age. Well done, everyone!
After the performance and Q&A session, there was a reception and social in which people were networking and circulating. It felt uplifting to talk to the professors and academics whom I admire, but to whom I didn't have to guts to ask questions in the plenaries. I just really like people, y'know? Despite the serious topic, I feel energised by the enthusiasm of the academics that I have met, and the passion they clearly have for their subjects. It inspires me, it drives  me, to want to dip my toe into the ocean that is the world of further academia.

I don't want to stop blogging. I don't want to stop developing my knowledge of the Holocaust. Maybe this blog will become a space in which I attempt to come up with at least half an original idea on the topic that hasn't already been said by somebody who actually-knows-what-they're-talking-about, y'know?

I want to thank everyone who has assisted me in the past couple of months. I appreciate that. 
(I have just deleted a whole paragraph listing names of people who have guided me in this process - 
but quite frankly ain't nobody got time for that - this isn't Wembley and I haven't written a book yet, soooooo)

PEACE.


No comments:

Post a Comment