Tuesday 2 December 2014

Historical Accuracy in Drama Documentaries

I was doing a bit of googling today (because apparently 'to google' is a recognised verb now) and came across a really helpful BBC website on dramatising historical events.

It's been so useful having access to the exhibition panels for this conference; because even though I live, breathe and study German here at the University of Leeds, I've learned so much just from reading the exhibition content. That being said, just reading and taking notes on a subject does not particularly engage my brain as I am a kinaesthetic learner. Addressing texts with a view to putting events into a dramatic context really furthered my understanding of Vergangenheitsbewältigung and memorialising.

The problem with creating a historical drama, though, is making sure we don't mystify the past. There is a team of experts and academic staff working on the conference, who have provided extensive content and images. On this basis an accurate historical drama can be created.

No comments:

Post a Comment